The architectural centerpiece of the $50 million Shelby Hall complex is the rotunda, crowed with a dome rising eighty feet above its surrounding. The facility design compliments the traditional architecture of the campus and evokes the memory of the original University plan from 1831. The building employs the classical proportions and order of the architecture of Palladio and the composition and material of the American Federalist period. The 200,000 square foot complex includes two three-story teaching wings and three three-story research wings, designed so that students and faculty can move easily between classrooms and research areas. With five sections arranged as a pentagon, the building is designed to bring natural light into the research, teaching, and administrative spaces. The research wings are designed to support groups of scientists, often from different disciplines, working as a team. To allow for maximum flexibility, research labs and support labs in the building are modular and arranged along corridors with faculty offices located across from them. Laboratory units are assembled into "laboratory neighborhoods," allowing for a variety of space assignments.A central courtyard formed by the five interior sides of the "pentagon" is filled with an oval lawn and sitting areas. Access to the courtyard is through the rotunda, the two cores in the laboratory wings, and two open arches in the corners of the building. The lawn slopes down slightly toward the rotunda, to form an elevated podium for convocations and other events.
University of Alabama
250 Hackberry Ln
Shelby Hall Room ________ (and department if appropriate)
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (Use 35487 when sending packages)